Pressure Cooker Black-Eyed Peas recipe. Looking for good luck in the New Year? Or a simple Southern-style side dish? A pressure cooker prepares black-eyed peas in less than an hour.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, sorted and rinsed
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Sauté the aromatics: Heat the tablespoon of oil in the pressure cooker pot over medium-high heat until the oil is shimmering (Sauté mode adjusted to high in my Instant Pot.) Add the onion and garlic to the pot and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Saute until the onion softens, about five minutes.
- Everything in the pot:Add the (sorted and rinsed) black-eyed peas and nestle in the ham hock. Pour in the water, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Pressure cook for 15 minutes with a Natural Pressure Release: Lock the pressure cooker lid. Pressure cook for 15 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker, or for 12 minutes in a stovetop pressure cooker. (On the Instant Pot, use the Manual or Pressure Cook setting, and set the cook time to 15 minutes.) When the cooking time is over, let the pressure come down naturally, about 20 minutes. (You can quick release any remaining pressure after 15 minutes if you’re in a hurry.) Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to avoid any hot steam.
- Serve: Discard the ham hock, and stir in the 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper. Serve and enjoy!
Yes, only 15 minutes under pressure. Black-eyed peas cook fast.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas, Pressure Cooker Black-Eyed Peas