Pressure Cooker Chickpeas with Toasted Parmesan Bread Crumb Crust recipe. Chickpeas, cooked in the pressure cooker and sautéed on the stovetop, make a hearty side dish or main course.
- 1 pound dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans), sorted and rinsed
- 7 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda (optional if you have soft water)
- 1 small onion, peeled and cut in half
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Juice of ½ a lemon
Parmesan and Bread Crumb Crust
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan, Romano, or a mix
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs) or regular bread crumbs
- ½ cup minced fresh parsley for garnish
- Pressure cook the chickpeas: Put the chickpeas, water, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, baking soda, onion, and bay leaf in the pressure cooker. Lock the lid and cook on high pressure for 45 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker (use "manual" or "pressure cook" mode in an Instant Pot), or for 40 minutes in a stovetop pressure cooker. Let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure in the pot. Reserve ¼ cup of the bean liquid, then drain the beans and discard the onion and bay leaf.
- Sauté the chickpeas: In a large, broiler-safe frypan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat until the oil is shimmering, about 3 minutes. Pour in the drained chickpeas (watch out for splattering), and sauté until the chickpeas are dried and just starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the chickpeas with the salt and pepper, drizzle with the lemon juice, and toss to mix.
- Broil the Parmesan and bread crumb crust: Pour the ¼ cup of reserved bean liquid over the chickpeas, sprinkle with the Parmesan, and cover with an even layer of bread crumbs. Put the pan 6 inches below a broiler set to high. Broil until the bread crumbs are golden brown, checking the bread crumbs every minute. Get the pan out of the oven as soon as the bread crumbs are browned, because they will go from browned to burnt in a heartbeat.
- Serve: Sprinkle the minced parsley over the top of the bread crumbs and serve. I served family style - the pan went on a trivet in the center of the table (be careful - the pan is hot!), stuck in a spatula, and let everyone scoop out their own servings.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Category: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pressure Cooker Chickpeas with Toasted Parmesan Bread Crumb Crust, Instant Pot Chickpeas with Toasted Parmesan Bread Crumb Crust