Pressure Cooker Chinese Pepper Steak - the Chinese American classic as a hands-off dinner from the pressure cooker.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 green onions (aka scallions), trimmed and sliced thin
- 2 pounds flat iron steak (or chuck blade steak, or boneless chuck roast), cut into 2 inch by 1/2 inch thick strips
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large onion, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch squares
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch squares
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 2 inch squares
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Hoisin sauce (or substitute 2 tablespoons brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
Garnish and Sides
- Minced green onions (scallions) for garnish
- Fry the garlic, ginger, and green onion: Heat the peanut oil over medium-high heat in the pressure cooker pot until shimmering. (Use Sauté mode in an electric pressure cooker.) Stir in the garlic, ginger, and green onion, and fry until you smell garlic, about 30 seconds.
- Pressure cook the beef: Sprinkle the beef with the kosher salt. Add the beef, onions, and peppers to the pot, and stir to coat with the garlic/ginger/scallion oil. Pour in the water and soy sauce, then stir in the hoisin sauce to coat the beef. Lock the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 12 minutes in an electric PC or 8 minutes in a stovetop PC. Let the pressure come down naturally, about 20 minutes.
- Finish the beef: Remove the lid from the pressure cooker, and stir in the toasted sesame oil. Whisk the cold water and cornstarch in a small bowl, then stir into the pot to thicken the sauce. Serve over white rice or noodles, sprinkling with minced green onions for garnish.
- This recipe will fit in a 6 quart or larger pressure cooker. I love my 6 quart Instant Pot pressure cooker.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Chinese