Pressure cooker white rice? Why bother?
I made rice on the stove top. Between heating up the pot and letting the pressure naturally release, how would a pressure cooker save time? I might as well simmer for fifteen minutes on the stove in a regular pot.3
Then the kids forgot to clean out my favorite sauce pot, the one I always use to make rice. (It was sitting in the sink, mac and cheese hardening from lunchtime.)4 Everything else was ready for a stir-fry, so instead of scrubbing the pot myself, I pulled out my Instant Pot and set it up.
Since that day, my Instant Pot is also my rice cooker. Why? Because now I can make rice while I’m only half paying attention. Fill the pot with rice and water, set it for 4 minutes, lock the lid, and listen for the beep. Then, set a timer for 10 minutes, and when that goes off, quick release any remaining pressure. When I’m busy in the kitchen - tossing my way through that stir fry, for example - it’s good to have a quick and easy side dish.
Recipe: Pressure Cooker White Rice
- 6 quart or larger pressure cooker (I use an Instant Pot electric PC for this)
Pressure cooker white rice recipe - rice from the pressure cooker in about 20 minutes.
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt or ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Add the rice to the pot: Pour the rice, water, and salt into the pressure cooker pot and stir.
- Pressure cook the rice: Lock the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Turn off warming mode and let pressure come down for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure in the pot. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
No pressure cooker? See my Basic White Rice recipe for traditional pot instructions.
You can make this recipe in a stove top pressure cooker if you want, but I don’t think it saves much time or attention when compared to regular stove top rice. The big advantage I get is the set it and forget it nature of the electric pressure cooker.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot White Rice, Pressure Cooker White Rice
What do you think?
Questions? Other ideas? Leave them in the comments section below.
Enjoyed this post? Want to help out DadCooksDinner? Subscribe to DadCooksDinner via eMail or RSS reader, recommend DadCooksDinner to your friends, and buy something from Amazon.com through the links on this site. Thank you.