Pressure Cooker Collard Greens with Bacon recipe. Tender greens and smoky bacon, cooked in 30 minutes in the pressure cooker.
- 1/4 pound bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound collard greens, cleaned and stems trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon Diamond Crystal Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Brown the bacon, then add the collards: Spread the bacon out in the bottom of the pressure cooker pot and set the pot over medium heat (stovetop PC) or to sauté mode (electric PC). Cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until it is browned and crispy, about 5 minutes. Stir a big handful of the collards into the bacon, coating with the bacon grease, until they wilt slightly. Then start stirring and packing in the rest of the collards. Don’t worry about the max fill line on the cooker - the collards will wilt quickly - but you need to pack them in enough to close the lid. Sprinkle the collards with the salt, then pour the water over the top of everything.
- Pressure cook the collards: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker, bring it up to high pressure, and cook at high pressure for 20 minutes in an electric PC, 16 minutes in a stovetop PC. Quick release the pressure. Remove the lid carefully - the steam is hot enough to scald.
- Season and serve: Pour the collards into a serving dish, sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper, and serve.
- 6 quart (or larger) pressure cooker (I love my Instant Pot Duo electric pressure cooker)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American