Pressure Cooker Collard Greens with Bacon recipe. Tender greens and smoky bacon, cooked in 30 minutes in the pressure cooker.
- ¼ pound bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pound collard greens, cleaned and stems trimmed
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Brown the bacon, then pack in the collards: Spread the bacon out in the bottom of an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker and set the pot to Saute mode - High. (Or use medium-high heat in a stovetop PC.) Cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until it is browned and crispy, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes.
- Pack in the collards: Stir a big handful of the collards into the bacon, coating with the bacon grease, and keep stirring until they wilt slightly. Continue stirring and packing in the rest of the collards, a big handful at a time, until they are all in the pot. Sprinkle the collards with the salt, then pour the water over the top of everything. (Don’t worry about the max fill line, because the collards will wilt quickly. You need to pack them in just enough that you can close the lid.)
- Pressure cook the collards for 20 minutes with a Quick Release: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker and cook at high pressure for 20 minutes. (Use Manual, Pressure Cook, or Pressure Cook - Custom mode in an Instant pot, set to high pressure for 20 minutes.) Quick release the pressure. Remove the lid carefully - the steam is hot enough to scald.
- Season and serve: Pour the collards and pot liquid into a serving dish, sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper, and serve.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Collard Greens with Bacon, Pressure Cooker Collard Greens with Bacon