Pressure Cooker Greek Lamb Shanks with Tomatoes (Arnaki Kokkinisto). Greek lamb shanks from the pressure cooker. Opa!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (greek olive oil is authentic, but expensive)
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 teaspoons Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 stalk of celery, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup water (or chicken stock)
- 15– to 16-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Sear the lamb shanks: Season the shanks with 2 teaspoons of salt. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat in the pressure cooker pot until shimmering. Brown the shanks in 2 batches, 2 shanks at a time. Sear the shanks until browned, about 3 minutes a side, then move to a bowl and sear the next pair of shanks.
- Sauté the aromatics: Add the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and tomato paste to the pot. Sprinkle with the oregano, thyme, cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sauté for five minutes, or until the onions soften. Add the wine to the pot, bring to a simmer, and scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen any browned bits. Stir in the water, then add the lamb shanks and any lamb juices from the bowl. Push the lamb shanks into the liquid as much as possible, then pour the crushed tomatoes over the top.
- Pressure cook for 45 minutes: Lock the lid and pressure cook at high pressure for 45 minutes in an electric pressure cooker, 35 minutes in a stovetop cooker. Let the pressure to come down naturally, about 20 minutes.
- Serve: Remove the lamb shanks to a platter. Use the liquid in the pot as the sauce – pour a little over the shanks, then pass the rest of the sauce at the table.
Look for short lamb shanks. Longer shanks are hard to fit in the pot of the pressure cooker. This is where having a big pressure cooker can be an advantage – these shanks just barely fit in my 6 quart pressure cooker. If I used my 8 quart, they would have fit easily. But…the video was already rolling.
- Category: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Greek
- Serving Size: 1 lamb shank