- 1 pound dried red kidney beans, sorted and rinsed
- 2 quarts water
- 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 pounds ground beef (Preferably 85% lean ground round or 80% lean ground chuck)
- 1 cup beer (or water)
- 2 cups chicken broth (preferably homemade, or low-sodium store-bought), or water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (if using homemade broth or water)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Soak the beans: Sort and rinse the kidney beans, then cover with 2 quarts water and add the salt. Soak the beans overnight (or at least 8 hours) at room temperature. Drain and rinse the beans.
- Saute the aromatics: In an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil using sauté mode (medium heat in a stovetop PC) until the oil is shimmering. Add the onions, garlic, and ½ teaspoon salt to the pressure cooker. Sauté the onions and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Toast the spices and cook the beef: Make a hole in the center of the onion mix and add the chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, and cloves. Let sit for 30 seconds, then stir into the onions. Add the ground beef, stir to coat with the onions and spices, then add the beer. Cook, stirring often, until the beef just loses its pink color, about 3 minutes.
- Pressure cook the chili for 20 minutes with a Natural Release: Stir the kidney beans, chicken broth, 1 teaspoon of salt, baking soda, and crushed tomatoes into the pot. Lock the lid on the pressure cooker and cook at high pressure for 20 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker, or for 16 minutes in a stovetop PC. Turn off the heat and let the pressure come down naturally, about 20 minutes. Remove the lid carefully, opening away from you – even when it’s not under pressure, the steam in the cooker is very hot.
- Season and serve: Stir in the black pepper, serve, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pressure Cooker Ground Beef and Bean Chili, Instant Pot Ground Beef and Bean Chili