Pressure Cooker and Oven Roasted Chickpeas. A spicy, crispy treat that starts with pressure cooker chickpeas.
Pressure Cooker Chickpeas
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, sorted and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
Oven Roasted Chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (Spanish pimenton de la vera, or use regular paprika)
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for heat)
- Pressure cook the chickpeas for 45 minutes with a natural pressure release: Put the dried chickpeas, 4 cups of water, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, and ½ teaspoon of salt in your pressure cooker. Lock the lid and cook at high pressure for 45 minutes in an electric pressure cooker (or 40 minutes in a stovetop PC). Let the pressure come down naturally, about 20 minutes. (If you’re impatient, let the pressure come down naturally for at least 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.)
- Dry the chickpeas and toss with oil and spices: Set the oven to 450°F. Drain the chickpeas, then gently pat dry with paper towels. Spread the chickpeas out on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil, and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the salt, paprika, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, and cayenne, then toss again to coat. Spread the chickpeas out into a single loose layer.
- Oven Roast the Chickpeas at 450°F until crispy (30 minutes): Roast the chickpeas in the oven until crispy on the outside, about 30 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Keywords: Pressure Cooker and Oven Roasted Chickpeas, Instant Pot and Oven Roasted Chickpeas