Pressure Cooker Pork Pot Roast. Tender pot roasted pork - ready in a few hours, thanks to the pressure cooker.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3- to 5-pound pork shoulder roast (aka Boston butt roast) cut in half
- 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup hard cider (or apple cider, or chicken stock, or water)
- 1 pound baby carrots (or 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1″ chunks)
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and cut into slices
- Season and sear the roast: Cut the pork shoulder roast in half, then sprinkle with 1 ½ teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. (Use Sauté mode adjusted to high in an electric pressure cooker.) Sear the pork roast one piece at a time. Sear each piece on 2 sides - use the largest sides - until it is well browned, about 4 minutes a side. After searing, put the pork in a bowl and save for later.
- Sauté the aromatics: Add the onion and garlic to the pressure cooker pot, sprinkle with the thyme and coriander, and sauté, stirring and scraping the browned pork bits from the bottom of the pan. Sauté until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Pour in the hard cider, bring to a simmer, and simmer for 1 minute to boil off some of the alcohol.
- Everything in the pot: Add the pork into the pot, and pour in any juices in the bowl. Add the diced tomatoes, carrots, and sliced apple on top of the pork.
- Pressure cook the pot roast for 50 minutes with a natural pressure release: Lock the pressure cooker lid and cook at high pressure for 50 minutes in an electric PC, or 45 minutes in a stovetop PC. Let the pressure come down naturally, about 20 more minutes.
- Defat the sauce, carve the roast, and serve: Gently move the pieces of pork to a carving board with tongs or a slotted spoon. (Or both - the pork is fall apart tender at this point.) Scoop the vegetables into a serving bowl with a slotted spoon. Pour the remaining liquid in the pot into a fat separator. Carve the roast, cutting it against the grain into ½” thick slices. Sprinkle some salt over the sliced roast, then pour a little of the defatted sauce over it. Serve, passing the rest of the sauce and the vegetables on the side. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Category: Sunday Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Pork Pot Roast, Pressure Cooker Pork Pot Roast