Very Berry Smoothie with Kale. My favorite smoothie - frozen mixed berries blended with some kale.
- 12 ounces (2 cups, plus a little) mixed frozen berries
- 1 handful kale (optional – about 2 cups loosely packed)
- 2 bananas, peeled, frozen
- 5-ounce container plain Greek yogurt
- 8 ounces apple juice (plus more to keep the blender moving, if necessary)
- Blend it all: Put everything in the blender, start on low, and slowly increase the speed to the highest setting. Blend on high until the ingredients are smooth, about 1 minute. If the smoothie isn’t spinning and forming a vortex, add some more apple juice and break up the smoothie with your blender’s tamper. (If you don’t have a tamper, shut off the blender, mix the contents with a spatula, then restart it.)
- What kind of berries? Like I said above, whatever you have is fine.
- When bananas get black spots and soft around the edges, we peel them and add them to the zip-top bag of frozen bananas in the freezer.
- I know, Kale is the food bloggiest thing ever. It wasn’t me! Our nutritionist suggested it, so we gave it a try! When the kids didn’t absolutely refuse to drink it, it became part of our regular recipe. Don’t have Kale? Substitute spinach. It’s less trendy, but every bit as good for you.
- So, why did I mention the tamper? Because this always happens to me:
- That’s a block of frozen berries, yogurt on top. Sitting way above the liquid that’s blending. I should put the berries in first, then the liquid. I always forget that part and have to mash it down with the tamper to get it to work.
- Blender (I love my Vitamix)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Drinks and Appetizers
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American