Instant Pot Flageolet Beans with Lamb - a French farmhouse staple from the Instant Pot
- 1 pound dried flageolet beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Small (1- to 1½-pound) lamb shank
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 small carrots, minced
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups homemade chicken broth (or low-sodium store-bought broth, or water)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Brown the lamb shank on one side:Heat the olive oil in the pressure cooker pot over high heat (Sauté mode adjusted to high in an Instant Pot) until the oil is shimmering, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the lamb shank with ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, then set it in the pot and sear it on one side until it is browned, about 5 minutes. Remove to a plate for later.
- Saute the aromatics; add beans, shank, water, and stock to the pot:Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to the pressure cooker pot, and then sprinkle with the ½ teaspoon sea salt and dried thyme. Saute until the onion softens, about 5 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot with a flat-edged wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits of lamb into the onions. Once the onion is softened, put the lamb shank back into the pot, and then add the sorted and rinsed flageolet beans. Pour in the water and chicken broth, then sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon sea salt.
- Pressure cook for 35 minutes with a natural pressure release:Lock the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 35 minutes in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cookers, or for 30 minutes in a stovetop pressure cooker. (On the Instant Pot, use the Manual or Pressure Cooking setting, and set the cook time for 35 minutes.) When the cooking time is over, let the pressure come down naturally. (If you’re in a hurry, you can quick release any remaining pressure after 15 minutes of natural pressure release.) Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to avoid any hot steam.
- Shred, season and serve:Lift the lamb shank out of the pot. Pull and shred the lamb meat, discarding the bone and any pieces of fat or gristle. Stir the shredded lamb back into the pot, then stir in the ½ teaspoon black pepper. Serve.
Watch the size of the lamb shank - the long bone can make it hard to fit the shank in the Instant Pot. Try to get a shorter shank if you have a choice.
If you don’t want to use a lamb shank, a smoked pork hock or beef shank are good substitutes
If you can’t find flageolet beans, navy beans are a good substitute
If you use store bought chicken broth, make sure to use low sodium broth, and cut the 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt back to ½ a teaspoon.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Category: Sunday Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker,