Pressure Cooker Chinese Kale. A quick green side dish from the pressure cooker.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1/2 inch slice of ginger, peeled and crushed
- 1 scallion (green onion), trimmed and sliced things
- 1 pound kale, cleaned and stems trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (or Sichuan Roasted Pepper Salt)
- 1/2 cup water (or the minimum amount for your cooker)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Lightly sauté the garlic, ginger, and scallion, then add the kale: Pour the oil into the bottom of the pressure cooker pot, and add the garlic, ginger, and scallion to the cold pan. Then turn on sauté mode in an electric PC or set the pot over medium heat in a stovetop PC. (Starting with a cold pan helps toast the garlic without burning it.) Heat until the garlic just starts to sizzle – we want it to bubble around the edges, but not brown – about 3 minutes. Stir a big handful of the kale, tossing to coat with the garlicky oil, then start packing in the rest of the kale. Don’t worry about the max fill line on the cooker – it will wilt quickly – but you need to pack it in enough to close the lid. Sprinkle the kale with the 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, then pour the water over the top of everything.
- Pressure cook the kale for 5 minutes with a quick release: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker, bring it up to high pressure, and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes (for either electric or stovetop PC). Quick release the pressure. Remove the lid carefully – the steam is hot enough to scald.
- Season and serve: Drizzle the soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sesame oil over the kale in the pot, and toss to coat. Scoop the kale out of the pot with a slotted spoon or tongs, leaving as much liquid behind as possible. Serve.
Don’t feel like trimming kale? Get a bag of pre-washed and trimmed kale. Look near the bagged salads. It won’t be as fresh as the bunches of kale…but sometimes perfect is the enemy of good enough.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Chinese