Pressure Cooker Pork Steaks, St. Louis BBQ Style. Pork shoulder steaks, BBQ style, ready in about an hour from an Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
- 6 thick-cut pork shoulder steaks (1- to 1¼-inch thick)
- 1 teaspoon barbecue rub (My homemade rub is here, or use a store-bought rub)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (If you use homemade rub - store-bought rub will already have salt)
- 1 cup water (or the minimum amount for your pressure cooker)
- ½ cup barbecue sauce for the cooker (My homemade barbecue sauce recipe is here, or use a store-bought sauce)
- ½ cup barbecue sauce to stir into the sauce
- Prepare the pork steaks: Sprinkle the pork steaks evenly with the fine sea salt and the barbecue rub.
- Everything in the pot: Pour 1 cup of water into the pressure cooker pot, add the pork steaks in a loose pile, and then drizzle ½ cup of barbecue sauce over the pork steaks. (Don’t stir – we want the sweet barbecue sauce to float on top of the water to keep it from burning.)
- Pressure cook for 45 minutes with a natural pressure release: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker. Cook at high pressure for 45 minutes in an electric pressure cooker ("manual" or "pressure cook" mode in an Instant Pot), or for 40 minutes in a stovetop pressure cooker. Let the pressure release naturally, about 15 more minutes.
- Broil (optional) and serve: Carefully remove the pork steaks from the pressure cooker; they’re fall-apart tender. Measure out ½ cup of the pot liquid, and stir in ½ cup of barbecue sauce. (If you have one, use a fat separator to defat the pot liquid first). Brush the pork steaks with this sauce. Optional: broil the pork steaks until the sauce is bubbling and browning at the edges, then brush with another layer of the sauce. (Broilers vary a lot, so keep an eye on them - it takes about 5 minutes for my broiler to brown the steaks.) Serve, passing the rest of the sauce for dipping.
- I make my own homemade barbecue rub and barbecue sauce. My homemade rub is salt-free; if you use a store-bought rub, and it has salt as the first or second ingredient in the ingredient list, skip the fine sea salt – it has enough salt already.
- 6 quart or larger pressure cooker (I love my Instant Pot Electric PC)
- Fat Separator
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American