I’m on vacation this week. I’m taking the easy way out and grilling hot dogs. Throw ’em on the grill, turn after a few minutes, and serve.
I can’t help myself. Even when I take the easy way out…I don’t take the easy way out. I found foot long hot dogs at my local megamart and topped them with everything I could find in the refrigerator. Leftover chili? Check. Pickle relish? Yep. Chop some onions, and get every jar of pickles and bottle of mustard. Let’s load up them dogs!
Recipe: Grilled Foot Long Hot Dogs
- 12 (foot long) hot dogs
- 12 (foot long) hot dog buns
- Mustard (cheap yellow, grainy, sweet-hot)
- Pickles (pickle relish, dill spears, jalapenos)
- Chili (I make big batches of chili, to make sure I always have some in the freezer)
- Cheese (shredded cheddar, slices of American)
- Grilled peppers and onions
- Chopped raw onions
1. Grill the hot dogs:
Preheat the grill to medium heat, and clean the grill grate. Put the dogs on the grate, and cook until browned on the bottom, about three minutes. Flip the dogs and cook until browned on the other side, another three minutes. Remove to the buns.
Pass the dogs and the toppings, letting people top them however they want. Foot long dogs are perfect for multiple-choice topping. I like half chili dog, half polish boy…but that’s just me.
- The kids didn’t believe me when I said they were foot long dogs, and measured them with a ruler. And they were right – the dogs were only 11 inches long. The fine print on the package said “extra long hot dogs”, not “foot long”. What are we coming to? What kind of a world is it where a foot long hot dog isn’t actually a foot long?
- I got over it. It was the chili. I can’t stay mad at a chili dog.
What do you think? Questions? Other condiments for the dogs? Passionate arguments in favor of ketchup on a hot dog? Leave them in the comments section below.
*Enjoyed this post? Want to help out DadCooksDinner? Subscribe to DadCooksDinner using the RSS or Email options on the right, link to this post from your blog, recommend DadCooksDinner to your friends, or buy something from Amazon.com through the links on this site. Thank you.