I’m addicted to podcasts. I have more subscriptions than I have time, and I have a lot of favorite food podcasts, but I don't feel like I have a good way of discovering new ones. I'm throwing the question out to my readers - What podcasts am I missing? What are your favorites?
Here are the food podcasts I listen to:
Rick Bayless and Steve Dolinsky: The Feed Podcast - Rick Bayless & Steve Dolinsky
I’m a huge Rick Bayless fan - his cookbooks are a constant source of new ideas for me. I enjoy most of Rick and Steve’s culinary explorations, especially since they’re located in Chicago - I go to Chicago every year, and love their insight into the food scene in the city. But my favorite part of the podcast is the Ingredient Challenge, when Rick challenges other Chicago chefs to use a specific ingredient for a 15 minute weeknight meal. I always come away with ideas I can use at home.
2. America’s Test Kitchen Radio
Christopher Kimball, Bridget Lancaster, and the rest of the America’s Test Kitchen crew: America's Test Kitchen Radio
My favorite part is the interview in the middle of the show. Chefs, food celebrities, cookbook authors, scientists - Chris does a great job interviewing them all about the world of food.
David Arnold and friends: Cooking Issues - Dave Arnold
Dave is a food scientist, owner of the Booker and Dax cocktail bar, and a fast talker from Brooklyn. This podcast has more information per minute than anything else I listen to, ideas pouring out of Dave as fast as he can say them. (I got my wife, the high school science teacher, his Liquid Intelligence cocktail book for her birthday. She’s been making all sorts of crazy drinks, and is muttering “now I need a dewar…and some liquid nitrogen…”. Dave unleashed her innner mad scientist.)
Cynthia Graber and Nicola Twilley: Gastropod
Cynthia and Nicole do a great job of combining food history and science in their in-depth explorations of food topics. (Are you sensing a theme yet?)
5. The Alton Browncast
Alton Brown: The Alton Browncast
Speaking of food science and heroes: Sigh. No new epsiodes since last December. Still lots of good stuff in the archives. Come back, Alton!
Bonus: My favorite non-food podcasts
I’m a nerd, and a computer geek, and the rest of my podcasts fall into two categories: 1. My favorite non-food podcasts:
- The Incomparable - Jason Snell and friends talking about nerdy pop culture. This is, by far, my favorite podcast of all. (Frankly, the entire Incomparable network is fantastic. I particularly like the Incomparable Game Show.)
- Accidental Tech Podcast - Casey Liss, Marco Arment, and John Siracusa talk about tech and Apple. Sometimes to extraordinary levels of detail, especially when John or Marco starts rolling. (I’m an Apple fanboy, so I love it when they get rolling.)
- Mac Power Users - Katie Floyd and David Sparks talk about how to get things done with Apple technology. See Apple Fanboy, above - but this show is more about workflows and tools you can use in the real world. 2
- And, practically the entire Relay.FM lineup - Upgrade, Clockwise3, Analog(ue), Connected, Rocket….
What am I missing?
What other podcasts are your favorites?4 Leave them in the comments section at the bottom of the page on my blog.