This recipe was inspired by the vendors I saw at the market in L’Isle Sur la Sourge, during my cooking classes in Provence.
Grill-Roasted Root Vegetables. Grill-roast root vegetables directly on the charcoal grate or burner covers, underneat the main course!
- 1 pound Fingerling potatoes (new potatoes work as well), cut in half
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered (I used 4 small cipollini onions in the pictures)
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
- Prep the vegetables: Put all the vegetables in a microwave-safe bowl, drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and herbes de Provence, and toss to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 10 minutes to par-cook the potatoes. Pour the vegetables into the foil pan and spread into a single layer.
- Set the grill for indirect heat – medium (350°F) to high (450°F): Preheat the grill for indirect heat.
- Grill-roast the root vegetables: Lift the grill grates and put the pan of vegetables directly on the charcoal grate or burner covers, between the charcoal or lit burners. (Note that you should have the main course already cooking above the potatoes – you’ll have to lift the grill grate and carefully slide the pan of vegetables underneath. Carefully!) Grill for about 30 minutes (high heat) to 45 minutes (medium heat), until the potatoes are tender and everything is a little browned at the edges. Move the vegetables around if the edges are browning quicker than the center.
- Serve: Lift the foil pan out of the grill. (Grab it on both sides – foil pans will warp and collapse if not handled correctly.) Scoop the vegetables out of the pan using a slotted spoon, and drizzle with some of the meat juices left in the pan. Serve.
- I overcrowded the pan a bit – it would have cooked a little quicker, and browned better if I had one layer of vegetables.
- My rotisserie burner kept the grill at 400*F, so I hit the middle of this timing range – about 40 minutes to brown the vegetables.
- 9-inch by 13-inch aluminum foil pan
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
What do you think?
|Check out my cookbook, Rotisserie Grilling.Everything you could ask about the rotisserie,|
plus 50 (mostly) new recipes to get you cooking.It’s a Kindle e-book, so you can download it and start reading immediately!
*Enjoyed this post? Want to help out DadCooksDinner? Subscribe to DadCooksDinner using the RSS or Email options on the right, link to this post from your blog, recommend DadCooksDinner to your friends, or buy something from Amazon.com through the links on this site. (Like my Rotisserie Grilling cookbook…)