A few years ago, kale was everywhere. Kale chips, kale smoothies, kale salad… But kale’s time as the “it vegetable” seems to have passed. We’ve moved on - brussels sprouts seem like they’re having their moment in the sun - and kale is now just another green vegetable.
I was into Kale before it was cool, thanks to my CSA. 3 Back before Kale was hip, I’d get big bunches in my CSA box and wonder what to do with it. My best answer? Braised kale. 4
Recipe: Pressure Cooker Kale with Garlic and Lemon
- 6 quart or larger pressure cooker (I love my Instant Pot Duo electric PC)
- Lemon squeezer (Optional, but I juice citrus almost every day)
Pressure Cooker Kale with Garlic and Lemon
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
Pressure Cooker Kale with Garlic and Lemon recipe - kale from your pressure cooker, quick and easy.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1 pound kale, cleaned and stems trimmed
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon Diamond Crystal Kosher salt
- Juice squeezed from ½ a lemon
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Lightly sauté the garlic, then add the kale: Pour the oil into the bottom of the pressure cooker pot, stir in the garlic, and set the pot over medium heat (stovetop PC) or sauté mode (electric PC). Heat the oil until you just smell the garlic - we want it to bubble around the edges, but not brown - about 2 minutes. Stir a big handful of the kale into the garlic and oil, then start packing in the rest of the kale. Don't worry about the max fill line on the cooker - it will wilt quickly - but you need to pack it in enough to close the lid. Sprinkle the kale with the salt, then pour the water over the top of everything.
- Pressure cook the kale: Lock the lid on the pressure cooker, bring it up to high pressure, and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes (for either electric or stovetop PC). Quick release the pressure. Remove the lid carefully - the steam is hot enough to scald.
- Season and serve: Squeeze the lemon over the kale, then stir in the fresh ground pepper. Scoop the kale out of the pot with a slotted spoon or tongs, leaving as much liquid behind as possible. Serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- I love my CSA, and I love farmers markets. But…as you can see in the pictures, I’m not against buying a bag of pre-cut, pre-washed kale at my local grocery store.
- I have two pressure cookers for recipes just like this - a quick side dish when my main pressure cooker is busy.
What do you think?
Questions? Other ideas? Leave them in the comments section below.
Pressure Cooker Roasted Sweet Potato Puree
Pressure Cooker Beets with Blue Cheese
My Pressure Cooker Recipe Index
Enjoyed this post? Want to help out DadCooksDinner? Subscribe to DadCooksDinner via eMail or RSS reader, recommend DadCooksDinner to your friends, and buy something from Amazon.com through the links on this site. Thank you.
So good, thank you. You're my go-to for all things Instant Pot. I used ginger-garlic paste and nigella, but I've also used smoked paprika in place of bacon for a vegan side or turmeric and cumin/mustard seed for an Indian flavor. I don't discard the pot liquor. Depending on the flavorings used I'll either pour it over the grain we're having for more flavor or drink it warm from a mug.
Thanks for all you do. All the best to you and your dear ones.
This was really easy to make and it only took 5 minutes to cook! I will be making this again!
Mike Vrobel says
Mrs. Stuart says
Easy and delicious way to prepare kale! Per another's advice I sautéed onions before adding the garlic. The greens were absolutely delicious!!
Mike Vrobel says
I'm glad you enjoyed them!
Cheryl Key says
I didn't follow 100%. Only cooked for 2 minutes. Like to add carrots in mine and fresh ground ginger (comes in a small pouch at whole foods) just a teaspoon of ginger so it didn't overpower. All the flavors blended very well so THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart! I like that your recipe was so easy to follow, gave me hope that I could do it too!
As an aside, I'm not a cook but had to change the way I eat. I've had my instant pot for a week and was very intimidated by it until I found I could saute and pressure cook in the same pot. Changed my life!
Mike Vrobel says
Anna Marie says
A delicious recipe. Cooked to perfection! Thanks for sharing. I also use juices from cooking other vegetables instead of plain water. Absolutely a favorite 😊
Mike Vrobel says
Someone gave me 2lbs of Kale. This was a great recipe! Super tasty and so easy! Chicken Pesto, Pasta, Kale. Thanks!
L C says
I ended up with far too much kale than I could get my fam to eat in a salad, so I made this last night and it was *amazing*. I didn't have lemon so I used juice from a whole lime, then misread the directions and put the lime juice in with the water so everything cooked together. It was very bright and garlicky, perfectly tender and a nice contrast to the rich sausage also on the menu. Thank you for putting this out there!
I made this last night (used a full lemon instead of half) and it was AMAZING!! Thank you!