Instant Pot Mini Pumpkin Pies. Pressure cooker magic - mini pumpkin pies steam-baked in my Instant Pot, done cooking in about a half an hour.
Pumpkin pie cooks a lot like cheesecake in the pressure cooker. That’s right - in the pressure cooker. We’re using the pressure cooker as a steam oven to bake these pumpkin pies.
If you’ve ever followed one of my Instant Pot cheesecake recipes, this recipe is going to look familiar. (Like so many recipes, knowing the basic technique is most of the battle.) The only difference is the time under pressure; the pumpkin filling needs more time than cream cheese does to cook through.
I will be testing a full-sized pie in my springform pan in the near future, but I wanted to start with single serving size pumpkin pies. They seemed appropriate for the smaller Thanksgiving we’re going to have this year. And, I thought that I could freeze some of them for later. That was until the swarm of locusts - also known as my kids - descended on the kitchen and left nothing but a pile of empty canning jars stacked up in the sink. Oh, well, at least I know that theoretically I can freeze them for later…
Looking for some single serving pies for the holidays? Or to stash away as a snack? Or for a way to show off the versatility of your pressure cooker? These mini pumpkin pies are for you.
Recipe: Instant Pot Mini Pumpkin Pies
Inspired by: Pumpkin Cutie Pies | ZAVOR®Print
Instant Pot Mini Pumpkin Pies. Pressure cooker magic - mini pumpkin pies steam-baked in my Instant Pot, a taste of fall in about a half an hour.
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
Pumpkin pie filling
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 15-ounce can pumpkin purée (aka “pure pumpkin”)
- 5-ounce can evaporated milk
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Chopped pecans (optional)
- Prepare the jars: Mix the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter, and divide evenly among 6 (6- to 8-ounce) jars or ramekins. Pack the crumbs down in the bottom of the jars. (I use a shot glass to pack down the crust – it fits in the small jars).
- Make the pumpkin pie filling: In a large bowl, beat the egg, In a small bowl, whisk the sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and ¼ teaspoon salt until evenly combined. Stir the pumpkin into the large bowl with the egg, then stir in the dry ingredients. Slowly whisk in the evaporated milk until everything is smooth. Divide the filling evenly between the prepared jars; each jar should get about ½ cup of filling.
- Stack the filled pumpkin jars in the pot in two layers: Put a cooking rack in the Instant Pot, then pour in 1 cup of water. Set three of the pumpkin jars on this bottom cooking rack. Set a second cooking rack over the layer of jars, then set the remaining 3 jars on top of that rack, offset from the bottom jars to help the steam travel through the cooker.
- Pressure cook the pies for 10 minutes with a Natural Release: Lock the lid and pressure cook on high for 10 minutes in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. (Use “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode in an Instant Pot.) Let the pressure come down naturally, about 10 more minutes.
- Cool the pies: Carefully lift the pie jars out of the pressure cooker. Let the jars cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Serve: Top each jar with whipped cream and an (optional) sprinkle of chopped pecans. Serve and enjoy!
Don’t have 2 pressure cooker racks? Like to live dangerously? You can – oh, so carefully – stack the second layer of jars on the first layer.
Don’t want to eat these pies all at once? They freeze for up to six months. Let them thaw overnight, then dig in and enjoy.
6 quart or larger pressure cooker (I love my Instant Pot 6-Quart Pressure Cooker)
2 pressure cooker racks - I use this Pressure Cooker Bakeware Sling as the bottom rack, and the metal rack that came with my cooker as the top rack
Half Pint Wide Mouth Canning Jars are the perfect 8-ounce jar for this job
Wide Mouth Canning Jar Reusable Lids for covering the wide-mouth jars
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Mini Pumpkin Pies, Pressure Cooker Mini Pumpkin Pies
What do you think?
Questions? Other ideas? Leave them in the comments section below.
Enjoyed this post? Want to help out DadCooksDinner? Subscribe to DadCooksDinner via email and share this post with your friends. Want to contribute directly? Donate to my Tip Jar, or buy something from Amazon.com through the links on this site. Thank you.