Pressure Cooker Brown Jasmine Rice is a quick and healthy side dish in the Instant Pot or any other pressure cooker.
I love food blogging - except when I weigh myself on Monday and Thursday mornings. Years ago I lost a lot of weight by cutting out processed starches and eating only whole grain carbs. That meant a lot of brown rice, because I love my stir fries and curries - they help me slip in a bunch of vegetables with my meat.
There are two problems with brown rice.
Problem one: cooking time. It takes a lot longer to cook brown rice - about an hour on the stovetop. That’s where my pressure cooker comes in; I can have brown rice in about a half an hour.
Problem two: taste. In other words, my kids. They love the neutral taste of white rice. The first time I tried to serve them brown rice, with its strong, nutty flavor, they took one bite, then refused to eat an more. I would try brown rice every now and again, but they never liked it. That is, until I tried brown jasmine rice. The long grains cook up fluffier than most brown rices, and the flavor is close enough to white rice that they don’t mind it as the side dish with a stir fry or curry. I finally have a brown rice I can serve to the kids.
Looking for a nutritious side dish, especially to balance out an Asian meal? Try some brown jasmine rice in the pressure cooker.
Recipe: Pressure Cooker Brown Jasmine Rice
- Pressure Cooker (I love my Instant Pot Duo)
Pressure Cooker Brown Jasmine Rice recipe - Nutritious brown rice, ready in a little over a half an hour in the pressure cooker.
- 2 cups brown jasmine rice (Or long grain brown rice, or brown basmati rice)
- 2 ½ cups water
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt (½ teaspoon fine sea salt)
- Add the rice to the pot: Pour the rice, water, and salt into the pressure cooker pot and stir.
- Pressure cook the rice for 20 minutes with a Natural Release: Lock the lid and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes in an electric PC, or 16 minutes in a stovetop PC. Let pressure come down naturally, about 15 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Instant Pot Brown Jasmine Rice, Pressure Cooker Brown Jasmine Rice
- My favorite brand (so far) is Jasmati brand brown rice from Rice Select, but I have to admit, I don’t have too many choices for brown jasmine rice in my area. If you have a favorite brand, let us know in the comments.
What do you think?
Questions? Other ideas? Leave them in the comments section below.
Enjoyed this post? Want to help out DadCooksDinner? Subscribe to DadCooksDinner via eMail or RSS reader, recommend DadCooksDinner to your friends, and buy something from Amazon.com through the links on this site. Thank you.