My grocery store had a sale on chicken drumsticks - and I think they were not the only store to do it. Last week, I got a wave of questions about pressure cooking drumsticks2. The questions came from two perspectives - half were asking if they could use my chicken wings recipe with drumsticks; the other half asked about my chicken legs recipe.
So, here we are in the middle - bigger than wings, smaller than legs, with a convenient handle to grab on to. I’m cooking the drumsticks like large chicken wings with a teriyaki glaze. (My oldest son is on a Teriyaki kick, so I went with Teriyaki drumsticks. Of course, he got himself invited out for pizza the night I made this recipe. Teenagers.)
There’s not much to this recipe - dump the drumsticks in the pot and pressure cook. The only tricky part is broiling the drumsticks. I broil them because it’s the quickest way to get them browned; they are kind of flabby when they come out of the pressure cooker, and need to crisp up. The tricky part is how variable broilers are. I’ve had wimpy broilers that can’t warm up a damp paper towel, and mega-powerful broilers that carbonize food the moment you take your eyes off of it. My current broiler is in the goldilocks zone, not to cold, not too hot. To even out the heat, and give myself some extra cushion, I put the rack down a few levels, in the middle of the oven. In that setting, the wings are nicely browned in about 10 minutes. Then I give them an extra coat of teriyaki and serve.
Looking for an easy substitute for chicken wings? Try out some pressure cooker chicken drumsticks.
Video: Pressure Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks (1:04)
Pressure Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks - Time Lapse [YouTube.com]
Chicken wing style Teriyaki drumsticks from the pressure cooker...with a little help from the broiler.
- 8 Chicken drumsticks (about 3 pounds)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce
- More teriyaki sauce to brush on the drumsticks before serving
- Pressure cook the drumsticks: Pour the water, soy sauce, and ¼ cup teriyaki sauce into the pressure cooker pot. Pile in the drumsticks, then toss them in the pot until they are coated with sauce. Lock the pressure cooker lid. Pressure cook on high pressure (manual mode) for 20 minutes in an electric PC, 16 minutes in a stovetop, and then quick release the pressure. (Or, if you have the time, pressure cook for 15 minutes in an electric PC, 12 minutes in a stovetop PC, and let the pressure come down naturally, about 15 more minutes.)
- Broil the drumsticks: Move the drumsticks from the pressure cooker pot to a baking sheet - be gentle; the drumsticks are already cooked through. Brush the drumsticks with the sauce from the pot. Set your oven’s broiler to high and broil the drumsticks until browned and the sauce is bubbling. (This will take 5 to 15 minutes, depending on your broiler and how far they are from the heat. I put them on the third rack down from the broiler, and went about 10 minutes.)
- Sauce and serve: Remove the sheet of drumsticks from the oven, and brush them with a generous coat of teriyaki sauce. Serve, passing extra teriyaki sauce at the table for dipping.
- This recipe fits in a 6 quart or larger pressure cooker. I love my 6 quart Instant Pot pressure cooker.
- This recipe can double in a 6 quart pressure cooker - there was plenty of space for another layer of chicken drumsticks. Keep the amount of water, soy sauce, and teriyaki sauce in the pot the same - you’re steaming the drumsticks, so the liquid doesn’t need to double.
- I use store-bought teriyaki sauce in this recipe - it’s easier. But, if you want to make your own…or forget to buy some (not that I’ve ever done that), here’s my homemade teriyaki sauce recipe.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Japanese
What do you think?
Questions? Other ideas? Leave them in the comments section below.
Pressure Cooker Buffalo Chicken Wings - Dad Cooks Dinner
Pressure Cooker Chicken Legs with Herb Rub - Dad Cooks Dinner
Pressure Cooker Chicken Broth and Shredded Chicken - Dad Cooks Dinner
Pressure Cooker - Dad Cooks Dinner
My other Pressure Cooker Time Lapse Videos
Enjoyed this post? Want to help out DadCooksDinner? Subscribe to DadCooksDinner via eMail or RSS reader, recommend DadCooksDinner to your friends, and buy something from Amazon.com through the links on this site. Thank you.